These are probably the ugliest photos that you’ll ever see of me but I don’t really care right now. For the past few months, my face has been swelling up mysteriously. Namely, my eyes and lips have swelled up at alarming rates without warning.
At first, I thought they were bug bites but there weren’t actual evidence of bites. What’s more, the reactions occurred both in Vancouver and Austin, which limited the environmental causes. (Not bed bugs, 1st thing I checked.)
I went to an allergy specialist and he said that it could be attributed to a number of triggers, including insects, chemicals, and most likely food. He was surprised that my eyes and lips were swelling up independently.
I haven’t found a link between anything I ate on the days that the swelling has occurred. I certainly haven’t eaten anything new but he asked me to keep a food journal. He also prescribed me to pick up epi-pens, just in case.
Now I have to decide whether or not to shell out for expensive tests that may or may not tell me what I’m precisely reacting to. If it’s a food allergy, chances are, I won’t be able to pass up on whatever it is anyways. Of course, the risk of not taking the test is I may react worse and it could be life threatening.
I just wanted to share and to see whether anyone else has encountered this. I’ve never had serious reactions to anything before and figured that I was home free. Any similar experiences would be appreciated o_O
UPDATE: An allergist conducted extensive testings on me and concluded that I’m not allergic to anything that they could test me for, ranging from foods, insects, to environmental triggers. My eyes still swell every other week or so but my lips have stopped swelling. I do wish that my allergist could have helped me narrow it down, but on the other hand, it’s nice to know that I’m not allergic to anything that I love. The search goes on…