My ears perk up when I heard that Latitude Restaurant opened a sister restaurant and bar in Chinatown. I became even more intrigued when I found out that their food and cocktail menus are inspired by Southeast Asia. Will this newcomer rise up to join the growing list of the best cocktail bars in Vancouver?
So I hopped down to this buzzing spot on Union Street to “do my research” for this cocktail article on Serious Drinks, First Look: Southeast Asian Cocktails at The Union Bar in Vancouver BC. Among the many refreshing, tropical cocktails that I tried, the Pandan Fashioned Cocktail left an impression on me.
As I described, “The Pandan Fashioned Cocktail hits the tongue with familiar bourbon and bitters, followed by the nutty pandan flavor that lingers. This simple drink is made with only 3 ingredients, including a pandan-infused simple syrup, but it’s surprisingly complex.”
Check out the piece to see the funky space and the many other inventive cocktails from The Union Bar. If you’re a whiskey lover like I am, I urge you to try your hand at the simple recipe below.
Pandan Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
Created by Arthur Wynne in Vancouver BC
- For the pandan simple syrup:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 whole pandan leaves
- For the cocktail:
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 barspoons Pandan simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Garnish: 2 inch long strip of pandan leaf, tied into a knot
- To make the pandan simple syrup, combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let the syrup cool and transfer it to a glass bottle. Add in the pandan leaves and allow it to infuse for 24 hours. Strain before using.
- To make the cocktail, combine Angostura and pandan simple syrup in a mixing glass. Fill glass with ice and add bourbon.
- Stir for 15 seconds. Strain into an ice-filled old fashioned glass. Garnish with pandan leaf knot and serve.