Call me biased but the best guacamole I’ve ever devoured was whipped up by The Mr. in a flash. Hailing from the heart of Texas where Mexican food and Tex Mex abounds, it made good sense for me to pick up some cooking tips from him.
In celebration of National Chips and Dip Day, allow me to present the best guacamole recipe I’ve found thus far North of the Mexican border. My quest for perfection continues but this one is pretty darn close.
- 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of cayenne
- Cut avocados into large dice.
- Add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash using a fork. Alternately, use a pestle and mortar if you have one on hand. Mash to desired consistency.
- Fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño and garlic.
- Add lime juice to taste
You’ll never guess what I added this guacamole to and created a dish that blew us away. Stay tuned to find out. Hint: it contains ox tail.
On the subject of Chips and Dip, what is your favourite combination? Share with me below!
13 Best Things to Eat in Austin Right Now in the Fall of 2013
Belated Austin Restaurant and Bar Openings Plus an Olive Dessert Just Cuz
The Best Croissant in Paris, Look No Further