Define “emergency”. Is one ever in dire need of dessert?
Sugarholics may argue “yes” and I am, of course, one of them. Here are some situations off the top of my head where throwing together an emergency dessert is necessary.
- In-laws’ surprise visit
- An excuse to invite your date over
- Approaching morning deadline – brain can’t function without dessert
- You’re pregnant
Whatever the case, you’re not obliged to explain yourself. Feel like dessert? Make it.
Here are my two favourite quicky desserts using ingredients found readily in my fridge and freezer. They are simple and fun to make with kids too. The best part is they do not require specific directions or measurements. I’ve also suggested some ingredient alternatives but use whatever tickles your fancy. After all, you only stock your fridge and pantry with what you love!
Peanut Butter, Mashed Banana, Candied Ginger Turnovers
- Remove phyllo or puff pastry from the freezer. Preheat toaster oven.
- Mash PB and nanner together in a bowl, add chopped candied ginger and sweeten with honey.
- Puff Pastry: cut pastry into squares, add filling, press out air and seal.
Phyllo: layer several sheets together by brushing on melted butter, cut into long rectangular strips, add filling, fold corner over into a right triangle, continue to follow the shape and fold over until pastry ends.
- Brush with eggwash, sprinkle with sugar, bake.
- Serve with ice cream (of course!)
For a savory alternative, try peanut butter and shredded sharp cheddar. This hits the spot like 3am Denny’s does, trust me.
More ideas: classic PB&J, dulce de leche and apple slices, marshmallows and chocolate chips, orange marmalade and sliced peaches.
Strawberry Mascarpone Yogurt Parfait
- Whip 1 part Mascarpone cheese and 2 parts yogurt together. Add a dash of vanilla extract or lemon zest. Sweeten with honey.
- Layer sliced strawberries, berries, or other fruit in glasses with the creamy mixture.
- Sprinkle on something crunchy. I happened to love breakfast cereal.
Creamy ideas: sweetened condensed milk with cream espesa, whipped cream and crème fraiche … you get the idea :)
Topping ideas: chopped nuts, shaved chocolate, coconut flakes, crushed graham crackers, gingersnaps… crumbled Oreos, Reeses Pieces … ok, now you’re losing respect for me.
What’s your emergency dessert? Please share :)